birding-aus

Gold Coast birding

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Gold Coast birding
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:56:17 +1000
Birding-aussers

Just on a month ago I moved to the Gold Coast from Toowoomba.  I had lived
here for many years in the past but most of my serious birding has been
since I left the coast in 1974.  I was looking forward to joining a good
friend and the Gold Coast Birding Group for some great outings.  It was not
to be as an unexpected illness stopped me in my tracks. (I can assure
everyone that the view from the ninth floor of the Gold Coast Hospital is
great.)

Today, I finally succeeded in spending a morning birding.  A great day with
79 species in four hours at the northern end of the Gold Coast.  It was high
tide so all the sand banks were covered and the waders were non-existent..

The Gold Coast water treatment plant at Coombabah is open to the public
(just sign in and out so you don't get locked in) and is vast.  Sealed roads
provide easy access throughout the whole area.  Not only waterbirds occur
but large areas of trees remain to provide bush birds as well.   Adjoining
the water treatment plant is a large reserve that takes in a large variety
of habitats and has had kilometres of tracks provided by the council.  All
this is about ten minutes from my place so I will be visiting regularly.

A number of birders have asked about areas on the Gold Coast in the past
with little response.  I can recommend the area that I visited today as
being close to Surfers Paradise (no more than 20 minutes drive) and the
other centres at the northern end of the Gold Coast and does not require a
trip to the mountains.  Anyone with an hour or two to spend should check out
the Coombabah area.

Terry Pacey
Gold Coast
SE Qld