birding-aus

Swift Parrots

Subject: Swift Parrots
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:56:14 +1100

G,day birders,

Saw about 8 Swift Parrots in Tunstall's State Forest, near Bealiba in central
Victoria, last Friday.  The weather was just superb; lovely and warm and birds
generally very active.  However, as I have noticed previously with Swift
Parrots, they can be extremely difficult to detect during the middle of the day.
I happened to be watching a mob of White-browed Woodswallows when I heard a
single faint chirp in the Grey Box tree right next me.  I looked up to find a
few Swifties quietly preening and going through the foliage (lerping?).
Tunstall's has been a Swift Parrot hot-spot over the past few years, since I
initially recorded good numbers of them there back in 1997.  Simon Kennedy has
observed numerous Swifties there in 1998, 1999 and 2000.  Well worth a visit,
and also, I would expect nearby patches of forest containing similar habitat to
have numbers of Swift Parrots.  I suggest Dalyenong State Forest, Havelock State
Forest, Tottington State Forest, St. Arnaud State Forest and Morrl Morrl State
Forest.  These places are rarely birded, so anything could be turned-up.

To add to the Swift Parrot tally, I heard a Swift Parrot at the Emu Creek Tennis
Courts (in Strathfieldsaye, south of Bendigo), yesterday afternoon, but didn't
get to see the bird ( I was focussed on the other green fast-flying object that
I was bashing around the court!!).

Chris Tzaros