birding-aus

Wisemans Ferry and Cattai areas 8th April 2001

To: <>
Subject: Wisemans Ferry and Cattai areas 8th April 2001
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 17:20:57 -0700

At Laughtondale Gully, along Laughtondale Gully Rd (about 60 km north-west of Sydney CBD) today, had great looks at 6 Turquoise Parrots, just about the exact place where Keith Brandwood initially saw them, over a week ago. They were feeding on roadside grasses beside heath. Like Keith, I was amazed with th amount of orange on their belly. I have seen Turquoise Parrots with this belly patch before, but not the amount as in these birds. Also close by, were 2 Bar-shouldered and some Peaceful Doves, Double-barred Finches and a good variety of honeyeaters attracted to 3-4 species of flowering banksia. These Honeyeaters included Yellow-tufted, White-eared, White-cheeked and New Holland Honeyeaters as well as Little Wattlebirds and Eastern Spinebills. The drive down the road through Murra murra NP to the Hawkesbury River was great and very scenic.

At Wisemans Ferry, there were a few Blue-faced Honeyeaters about the golf course. There were Mugga Ironbarks in flower along the golf course, but only the Blue-faced Honeyeaters and Noisy Miners were feeding on them.

Driving back towards Cattai, I think I went past the Holden Torana Club, as no less than 25 went passed me, one after the other.

At Cattai NP (about 50 km, north-west of Sydney CBD) there were atleast 2 White-throated Warblers, 1 or 2 Rufous Fantails, a female/Immature male Cicadabird and a Spangled Drongo.

Going pass Longneck Lagoon (near Pitt Town), I was pleased to see 2 machinery making a lot of effort to get rid of the heavily infested duck weed – at last!

Edwin Vella