birding-aus

NSW Community Access to Natural Resources Information webpage

To: Rod Gardner <>
Subject: NSW Community Access to Natural Resources Information webpage
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:28:54 +1000
Rod Gardner wrote:

> Hi birders,
>
> Anyone got any recent, unpublished information on the following species in
> far north, (near-)coastal NSW (Byron Bay/Border Ranges area)?
>
> Little Bittern
> Red-backed Button-quail
> Marbled Frogmouth
> Grass Owl
> Masked Owl
> Rufous Scrub-bird
> Paradise Riflebird

This is your lucky week Rod, as the CANRI system -
http://www.canri.nsw.gov.au/
went public on Monday.

It is a web-based GIS system that makes available to the
public relevant [environmental and natural resource]  information from
16
government agencies.

"The Community Access to Natural Resources Information (CANRI) Program
provides information products tailored for community-based local and
regional
environmental management in New South Wales. It is the first program of
its kind to offer integrated access to maps and other data held at
various Internet sites by a diverse group of natural resource agencies
and other stakeholders.

 CANRI is a collaborative initiative involving all NSW natural resource
agencies. The NSW Government has provided nearly $4m

 CANRI participating agencies and organisations

 NSW Agriculture
 NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
 Australian Museum
 Office of Information Technology
 Environment Protection Authority NSW
 NSW Premier's Department
 NSW Fisheries
 Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney
 Land and Property Information NSW
 NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation
 NSW State Forests
 Local Government and Shires Associations
 NSW Treasury
 NSW Department of Mineral Resources
 NSW Department of Urban Affairs and Planning
 Murray Darling Basin Commission

The important thing is that it has a page that [I suspect] deals with
all the birds on the NSW bird list.  I tried it on the Eastern
Bristlebird - and came up with 4 pages of useful info - so it is a good
resource for people without access to tomes such as HANZAB.

Regards, Laurie.