birding-aus

Blue Mountains birds

To: Arron Davies <>
Subject: Blue Mountains birds
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:29:37 +1100
Arron,

There are quite a few reasonably consistent spots to find these two species
in the Blue Mountains. I find that Red-browed Treecreepers are more common
in the upper mountains than most people realise - but always on
smooth-barked eucalypts (or the smooth upper branches of otherwise
rough-barked eucs), especially on the richer soils in the valleys or
gullies. Places where I regularly see them include:

* Murphy's Glen (near Woodford) - on the Blue Gums in the camping area.

* Coachwood Glen - take the road into Megalong Valley, drive through the
rainforest and just past Coachwood Glen nature trail you can pull off the
road on the right amongst tall eucalypt forest. Also check out any of the
emergent eucalypts in the rainforest before you reach this point.

* Lawson's Long Alley (off Mt York Road, Mt Victoria) - a fairly steep walk.

Any treecreeper on a smooth-barked eucalypt in these areas will almost
certainly be Red-browed.

The Pilotbird might be a little more difficult. I hear it on bushwalks just
about everywhere in the mountains, but you have to be a bit lucky to
actually see one. Try the following places:

* Evans Lookout (near Blackheath) - between the carpark and the lookout.

* Narrow Neck peninsula at Katoomba, a couple of hundred metres either side
of the Golden Stairs walking track.

* Perry's Lookdown (at the end of Hat Hill Road, Blackheath) just a couple
of hundred metres beyond the carpark where the track skirts a gully.

* The Coxs Cave walk at Mt Victoria.

There are many more but these are all places where I have seen them several
times. The first two are also reliable spots for Rockwarblers. Good luck!

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW