birding-aus

breeding plumages at Woody Point

To: "Robert Inglis" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: breeding plumages at Woody Point
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:12:28 +1000
Hi Robert & "Birding Ausers"

Have just , today , arrived home from a two week trip visiting relatives &
friends in Brisbane. One of whom lives on the Redcliffe peninsula so I
visited the beaches at Redcliffe , Scarborough & Woody Point a few times
whilst I was there. A full trip report will follow later.

My first outing was to the rocks at the end of Anzac Parade at Redcliffe at
lowish tide & I found

Grey tailed Tattler 2
Wandering Tattler  1
Crested Tern     several
Caspian Tern         3
Little Tern              2
Ruddy Turnstone    9
Eastern Reef Egret   1 Grey 1 white

 I then went around to Scarborough and in front of the hotel added

Whimbrel    1
Pacific Golden Plover  3

The last day when we left I went around to Woody Point & near the jetty
found

Pied Oyster Catcher     13
Great Knot                      4
Grey tailed Tattler            3
Wandering Tattler             1
Crested Tern                     several
Whimbrel                          1
Eastern Curlew                  1
Ruddy Turnstone                several

I then spied in the distance a group of waders further towards the bridge
near the boat entry point.
Upon closer inspection "the group" consisted of about

Bar tailed Godwits      30
Great Knot                  300+
Red Knot                     4
Curlew Sandpiper         2

Many of the Great Knot and some of the Bar tailed Godwits were in breeding
plumage
 So, I must concur with Bob , a great birding spot.

Also what might be of interest to Jill Denning & others was we had a night
on Moreton Island at Tangalooma as well. The only morning I didn't
specifically go out birding early but wandered out of our unit and saw some
Terns sitting on the remains of an old jetty so I went back in for the
binos. Just as well I did as lined up together giving a great comparison in
size and colour were 3 Crested Terns, 1 Little Tern & 2 Lesser Crested Terns
( a Tick ).

Cheers

Dick Jenkin