birding-aus

Port Phillip Bay sighting

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Port Phillip Bay sighting
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:00:46 +1000
Hi all,
     I am pelagic illiterate, so would appreciate any help I could get on the following sightings.
     Just offshore from South Werribee, about 6 birds, which may have been Huttons Shearwaters.
    The first bird I saw had a definite white nape, which I'm unable to find in any of the field guides, a dark head and throat, sharply demarcated by a white breast down to the undertail coverts which appeared dark. This bird was calling almost continuously, much like a new puppy. Maybe a juvenile?
Next on the scene was a much browner bird, very mottled/speckled underneath. No distinct white on breast.  Maybe a different species or same species different ages?
They were then joined by a completely brown bird?
I'd lost the plot by now
I only had Slater FG with me and the illustrations in no way resemble the birds seen.
The closest likeness I can find is Mike Carters photo on page 307 of the Photographic Index  "Seabirds" although the birds seen today had a definite dark throat above the white breast,
and as best I could see, no white in the underwings.
Also the bill was rather short, more like a petrel than a shearwater in the illustrations.
Unfortunately, the bay wasn't exactly calm today, so the boat was rocking and rolling, making identification rather difficult.
Later in the day saw another 3 birds, this time brown above, with white breast.  (Closest illustraltion, only for comparison, would be a Tahiti Petrel.)
I may get out again on Sunday, but this time I'll take the video!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe best to email me directly, unless you think others are interested in this posting.
Thanks
Marlene.