birding-aus

Newhaven Station camels & weekend sightings

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Newhaven Station camels & weekend sightings
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:31:12 +1000
Hello,
I saw something on the ABC about studying camels on Newhaven Station.
I wasn't really watching it until Newhaven was mentioned.Apparently the couple of researchers from Europe
have been camping out on and off for a few years up there and run out of money to continue their research.
The manager was very happy having them there.My question is,will they be allowed to continue given Birds Australia(of which I happily made a small contribution) has bought it?They mentioned on the progamme that the camels ate 250 of the 300 known plants found there and multiply by 6% per annum(I think)Maybe they don't know that the camels are to go ? or are they?

Also we got 91 species at Wallaville in hot conditions adjacent to the Burnett River 25mins west of Bundaberg....many more than I would have thought.The owners have orchard and are very proactive in replanting riparian vegetation and fox controll.With the help of Landcare removal of Cats-claw Vine and other weeds is happening.In fact they employ 2 people who mainly attend to the tasks.Integrated Pest Management is used to minimize chemical usage and the business isapparently very sucessful.There is no nettings or shooting of flying foxes or birds.Good on them I say!
Highlights included:

Australasian Bittern
Black Chinned HE
Oriental Cuckoo(along with 5 other cuckoos excluding us)
Little Lorrikeets(using a hollow)
Square Tailed Kite

Bill