birding-aus

Magpie-larks and Water Lilies

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Magpie-larks and Water Lilies
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:51:43 +1000
g'day all,

Last Sunday,when atlassing the lakes on the outskirts of Camooweal Darlene Kneen and I noted 3 Magpie-larks imitating Comb-crested Jacana's by walking and feeding on the 20-25cm diameter lilies. They were about 2 meters from the waters edge.

I have seen a Buff-banded Rail doing the same thing but I would imagine that would not be so rare ?

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.