birding-aus

Confessions of a Birdwatcher

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Confessions of a Birdwatcher
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:16:07 +1100
G'day all,

I had a lot of inquiries to my Quail-thrush e-mail wanting to know what this comedy festival show was about. Rather than reply individually I thought I would let you all know about it, especially those of you who will be in Melbourne over the next month.

The show is called "Confessions of a Birdwatcher" and is about, surprise, surprise my experience over the last twenty odd years as a birder. After working for five years as a professional comedy writer, chronicling the more more bizarre side of human behaviour, it suddenly dawned on me that about the most absurd and nutty form of human endeavour I'd ever encountered was my very own hobby.

Last year there was a thread about trying to popularise brids and birdwatching, and in a way that is part of my aim with "Confessions". Though about birdwatching it is aimed at the vast majority of the population who don't know their Arctic Tern from their elbow. Whether it will have the general public flocking to become birders or just make even more people laugh at us as we stand there in suburban parks, binoculars trained on a potential rarity, who knows.

The show is part of the Melbourne Iinternational Comedy Festival and is on at the Trades Hall building, corner Lygon and Victoria Streets, Carlton 7 PM every Wednesday to Sunday from March 29 th (Which is a Thursday) through to April 22nd. Tickets can be booked through Ticketmaster, but I'd recommend buying them at the door at this stage as it will save you a phone booking fee.

Hope to see you there. After some of the tense debates online over the last couple of months, I think some of us might be looking for a bit of a laugh.

Oh and if anyone is worried that their may be a bit of character assasination going on, I can assure that any resemblance to actual birdwatchers is purely coincidental.

Well maybe.

Sean Dooley

Oh, and there is a benefit night for the Birds Australia Endangered Species Appeal on Sunday the 1st of April. So you can crack a smile and help save a Swift Parrot.