birding-aus

Wildlife as Pets

Subject: Wildlife as Pets
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:26:38 +1000
Tom Tarrant wrote:

> Would like to forward the attached from Wildlife Preservation
> Association onto Birding Aus subscribers in case they are not aware of
> these proposals affecting our wildlife,
> Marie Tarrant, Samsonvale, Qld.

  <snip>

> Wildlife as pets would be a complete disaster to our environment and
> could never be reversed and must therefore never be allowed in
> Queensland.

OK, what about the native species that are already kept as pets?

How is the keeping of budgies, weeros [cockatiels], zebra finches etc a
complete disaster for the environment?

How would the breeding of Australian native fish be any worse than the
exotics that are frequently dumped in our waterways?  If we are
permitted to catch fish, and to have fish/crayfish/shellfish farms, why
not have them as pets?

What is wrong with people breeding insects like preying mantises?
[after all, all sorts of insects and arachnids breed in people's
houses].

People already provide nesting boxes for birds and marsupials in their
properties, and feed all sorts of wildlife.

Ultimately, most of the arguments put would also apply to the exotic
species that people keep as pets.

There are also many breed and release programs for fish.  Is there any
reason why there shouldn't be breed and release programs for amphibians,
mammals and reptiles in their natural ranges.  Why shouldn't people be
able to stock suitable properties with wildlife rather than domestic
stock?

I don't believe that all dealings in Australian native species are bad.
Very little in life is that black and white.

Regards, Laurie.