birding-aus

Suburban and Agricultural areas Parrots

To: "Peter Them" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Suburban and Agricultural areas Parrots
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:23:19 +1000
Peter,
As you probably know from my many writings on this, Canberra Ornithologists Group has been doing a Garden Bird Survey continuously since 1981. I won't attempt to answer your question here but all the questions you asked are clearly answered with detailed long-term data for Canberra. The only thing not covered is hybrids of which the only one we get (and only occassionally) is hybrids of Crimson & Eastern Rosellas. We have 1151 observer years (43273 observer weeks) of data assembled and it is ongoing. There are many parrot species in Canberra. All of the larger species have increased dramatically over the last 18 years for which data are assembled. Only one (Red-rumped Parrot) has declined (but remains common in adjacent woodland) and one (Eastern Rosella) has stayed stable. Detailed information on the survey and graphs of long-term and monthly abundance of 150 species will be released in my report on the GBS soon. The Book: Birds of Canberra Gardens, a PR version of some of that information from the GBS, was so enamoured with the parrots of Canberra - because they are such a major part of the bird fauna - that it started with them.
Philip