birding-aus

A weekends birding

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: A weekends birding
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:30:07 +1100
I guess anyone who buys land in the Capertee Valley hopes they are going
to see Regent Honeyeaters on it.

So even with assurances from the "eyes of the valley" David Geering NPWS
that he?d seen them there, (in fact they used the property as a release
site for the captive breeding program), it?s a different matter when the
money is down on the table.

We expected it could be months and decided to ignore the 100 species
list David had provided and start from scratch again after settlement on
the acres.

Last weekend was our first weekend of ownership. And it had no time for
birdwatching. Only what flitted past, as we cleaned and moved and
wondered.

Nice start.
Doubled Barred Finch, Little Eagle, Little Lorriket, Rainbow Bee Eater,
Crested Shrike Tit, Dusky Wood Swollow, WedgeTailed Eagle, Chestnut
Rumped Heath Wren
and a possible Black and yellow fly past.

Day two. We?re happy. 20, 30, 40.

We list the Choughs, Yellow Robins, Gang Gangs, Diamond FireTails,
Peaceful Dove, Bronzewing, Owlet night Jar, Jacky Winter, White Browed
Babbler,

and then late on Sunday, as the setting sun gave the valley the magic
touch,
while loading the van for the drive home early the next day,
there it is.
Happily feeding on the roadside verge. Bird number 47.
Regent Honey Eater.

Sometimes life is sweet.

Timothy Hyde
Blue Mountains  NSW  ( & Capertee Valley)