birding-aus

The Californian wader

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: The Californian wader
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:22:04 +1000
Interesting isn't it how similar are the experiences of birders, whether in
Australia, the USA, UK or wherever.

Birding friends in California who have been trying to get to see the Greater
Sandplover at Stinson Beach have just written:

"Unfortunately we went up a 3rd time yesterday and once again the bird
didn't show. We were not alone:
we now have the distinction of having missed the bird in the company of
almost every great birder in
California - yesterday it was Rich Stallcup.
We all think it may never come again after the indignity of being caught and
measured, but who knows?"

It's a five hour drive for them. Rings a bell......

I asked if they knew how the bird had been caught for measurement, but they
didn't. They did add however:

"On another note, our local dairy farm that is friendly to birders has asked
that no one come for the next 90 days.
He's wary of Foot and Mouth disease. A world phenomenon."

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056