birding-aus

[House Swifts] on the S.A./Vic border

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: [House Swifts] on the S.A./Vic border
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:24:49 +1100
Between 15.20 & 15.25 today, John Berggy watched 20 "swiftlets" hawking with 6 White-throated Needletails at Nelson in S.W. Victoria. Half the size of the Needletails, and with similar shaped wings, they were dark all over with a white rump. The tail was not forked like Collocalia vanikorensis  (his words, -- he lived in PNG for ten years, i.e. Uniform Swiftlet) but stumpy, more like esculenta (Glossy). However they lacked the pale belly of that species. He had rejected the possibility of House Swift because the Ozzie fieldguides show a "blazing" white throat not possessed by his birds. I advised that several House Swifts seen in Australia, including one seen so well and so closely it was photographed, have not shown white throats. Whether this is appearance or actual plumage I'm not sure. I think he saw House Swifts, a bird rarely reported and with no accepted records in Victoria. They disappeared in a S.W. direction. A remarkable occurrence.
                                    Mike Carter