birding-aus

Migrating Welcome Swallows

To: "Jo Wieneke" <>, <>
Subject: Migrating Welcome Swallows
From: "Jim Davis" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:32:20 -0800
Jo:

   I am just putting the finishing touches on an article covering "Patterns
of bird migration",  can you provide any details on migrating swallows?  Do
swallows, for example, pass through Townsville at the some time each year,
or is the schedule highly variable, etc.?  TIA

Cheers, Jim

Dr Wm James Davis, Editor

Interpretive Birding Bulletin
Trial copies of the Bulletin and
book reviews are available online
www.ibirding.com

> Hi All,
>
> Last Thusday at our weekly survey at the Ross River (Townsville, Nth Qld)
> colony we counted over 1000 Welcome Swallows in about half an hour, flying
> in a NNE direction-possibly towards the port. Lately I've seen flocks of
> 20-30 on wires but that is fairly normal for Townsville. Has anyone else
> seen any movements of swallows lately?
>
> The colony in the mangroves is still very active. Cattle Egret numbers
have
> dropped from 4000 to only a couple of hundred, but Intermediate, Great
and
> Little Egrets as well as White Ibis are all breeding. Other highlights in
> Townsville recently include an Oriental Cuckoo which flew through the
garden
> and a Little Kingfisher in the park at Rowes Bay. As reported before
Sacred