birding-aus

Gouldian Finch and Spider predation by Crimson Finches

Subject: Gouldian Finch and Spider predation by Crimson Finches
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:00:30 +1100
Hello Frank,

I haven't heard of or seen reference to Gouldians feeding on nectar. They have been reported to feed on insects however. That being the case, I believe that they have a less varied diet than say Long-tailed Finches and Masked Finches. I think that it would be a little unusual for them to be foraging in the tree though. None of this from my own research- just what I've picked up from others.

If you get a chance again, it would be worth trying to see what it is that they are eating.

On Crimson Finches eating spiders. During my research on Crimsons (1998-2000) I found that spiders can make up a considerable portion of their diet (up to an average of 18% in February), in particular during the breeding season. This was the case for both the white-bellieds and the black-bellied species although insect larvae were the most prominent animal food in the diet of the white-bellieds on the east coast of Cape York Peninsula. I believe that Crimsons particularly forage for young spiders while they have young babies in the nest. In the case of white-bellieds they usually take them from the foliage of Pandanus trees. Black-bellieds seem to forage for them around the eaves of human structures. They are great to watch when they are on the hunt.

One of the most interesting dietary items of finches is that of green algae by mannikins. Particularly during the breeding season a great part of the bulk of the crop contents of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins and Yellow-rumped Mannikins can be made up of green algae. While this hasn't been noted with Australian mannikins before it has been noted with other mannikin species in Africa and Asia. Apparently algae is high in protein and its occurrence in the diet of mannikins is a very interesting adaptation I think. I've recently written this up into a paper on finch diet that hasn't been published yet.

Its true Frank, finches don't just eat seeds!

Cheers,

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Toronto, NSW, Australia