birding-aus

Parrots at an artificial water point

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: Parrots at an artificial water point
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:09:08 +1030
G'day All,
I am the landcarer of Hideaway paddock,29000ha of mallee,part of Calperum Station....on the Eastern boundary of Gluepot Reserve,and I have just returned from  three days out there..doing some atlassing etc.
I was privilaged to be alone at End Tank and witness c150 Mallee Ringnecks and c30 Mulga Parrots coming in to drink on both Thursday and Friday mornings. A Collared Sparrowhawk was flying about on Thursday morning and on my return to camp later in the afternoon it was evident that it had a meal of Ringneck,I didn't see it Friday morning.
The closest water to the west is at Gluepot homestead...28Km and about the same distance north and south to find water,there is water 6Km east, so it is the only water available for a long way and we have had a record hot summer.  I did 17 atlas surveys within a 12km radius of the tank and only recorded the above birds at two sites. I saw one Malleefowl and fresh M/F tracks at another site, Striated Grasswren at one site and heard twice, while driving between sites, Southern Scrub-robin at two, Gilberts Whistler at three sites. I saw fresh Echidna tracks at three sites.
Other birds seen
Red Wattlebird
Spiney-cheeked Honey-eater
Striped Honey-eater