birding-aus

Italian people and birds

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: Italian people and birds
From: "Kolibri Expeditions" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:14:42 -0500
I don´t really know why anyone should discuss Italians on a aussie list. The
statement by Denise shows a lot of ignorance (and do I trace xenofobia???).
General statements does like this does not help bird conservation.

Let´s look at some facts.
1. Spaghetti bolognesi contains tomato, onions and minced meat (preferably
beef) not birds.
2. There has been a traditional hunt in Italy for songbirds (as well as in
many other parts of Europe), but this hunting is illegal and it has in most
places diminished in recent years, much thanks to a strong conservation
group in Italy - LIPU. While there still is a lot of illegal hunting in
Italy (and elsewhere in Southern Europe), the work of Lipu shows that not
all Italians don´t care about birds. Check this UK support group for the
work of LIPU for more a more balanced view about Italians and birds. There
are many problems in Italy regarding bird conservation, but the work of LIPU
is carried out by Italians, so general statements about Italian people
particulary only seeing birds as food does not help the cause.
http://www2.prestel.co.uk/fernwood/LIPU1a.htm
3. Yellow Chat does not occur in Italy. So "italian fishermen" have not
aquired the taste for these particular birds in Italy. Any illegal hunting
should naturally be dealt with - but to imply that a bird consequently is
rare becuase of the existance of an ethnic group is vastly exaggerated and
insulting to this group.

Saludos

Gunnar Engblom (Swedish birdwatcher in Peru)
Gunnar Engblom
Kolibri Expeditions,
Lima, Peru
Birdwatching in South America
http://www.netaccessperu.net/kolibri

Rubens 205 dpto 401
San Borja
Lima 41
Peru
tele/fax +51 (0)1 476 50 16 celular 936 49 11