birding-aus

Belmont Common - Point Cook

To: <>
Subject: Belmont Common - Point Cook
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:34:47 +1100
After giving a talk at Deakin University Library I decided to pay Belmont
Common a visit (on recommendation from Margaret and Russell), and was not
disappointed. The list is similar to Russell's earlier posting, with the
highlights being: Spotless Crake (1), Spotted Crake (1), Ballion's Crake (3),
Buff-banded Rail, and plenty of Latham's Snipe (25+) many of which were in the
grasslands around the common. There were also half a dozen Purple-crowned
Lorikeet in the surrounding gums. Oh... and a fox in the reeds and a stolen car
next to the hide.

If you are interested in going to the common I would go soon. Most of the mud
flat area is drying up - so the crake may be forced on. (I'm not sure of the
ecological 'behavior' of this swamp - so I may be wrong?)  I did take my lunch
Russell - not a pretty site! Imagine a birdwatcher stuffing his face with
sandwiches while continuing to look through his binocs.

On the way back from Geelong I also dropped into the Point Cook wetland bird
hide - some nice birds: a hundred or so Chestnut-breasted Shelduck (100+),
Shovellor (10) , Hardhead (20), and few waders including a single Black-tailed
Godwit (with slight rufous coloring), Curlew Sandpiper (5), Common Greenshank
(1), and plenty of Black-winged Stilt.

Not a bad day on the "road to Geelong".

(Also FYI - came across http://www.mediatec.it/wwf/photogal.htm for a good
online bird photo gallery - linked to the WWF.)

Tim

Tim Dolby
RMIT Publishing - RMIT University
Phone: (03) 9925 8271