birding-aus

Swifts

To: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Subject: Swifts
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:34:45 +1100
Hello Mike,
Herewith a report from dedicated swift observer Dick Dallimore, whose
upper-level apartment overlooks Sydney Harbour giving him and his wife Val a
panoramic platform for viewing swifts.

Reg

Sunday 18 Feb 2001

At home in Neutral Bay, White-Throated Needletail swifts were around from
13:20 today.
A few were flying down low and gliding quickly, also some (sleeping) going
up and down in south east breeze with medium white cloud cover.Only stayed
around for a few minutes.
13:43 a few swifts appeared, about 20+ flew past heading east, feeding and
soaring around until out of sight at14:05.
15:02 one lone swift east of our building,soaring around for several
mins.also feeding.
15:46 to 16:10  12 to 15 more came into view some, spiralled up high while
others were arcing down low below the building skyline.
Some did aerial displays a couple flew together flying and gliding and
diving, other flew down low feeding just above trees and
rooftops.
That was today, yesterday afternoon from 16:20 there were lots of them in a
great spiral swarm north of our building.
High up soaring and gliding with some sleeping (in an up down loop mode),
they were moving from north into a south east breeze
and travelling south.
Val (my wife) last saw swifts on 20/12000 at our home, flying sth. to nth.
at 09:45 too many to count. They were swirling all over
Neutralbay, low and high for half an hour. I last saw many of them on
29/01/2001 at North Ryde from 08:05, hundreds of them feeding very low just
above the tree tops for three kilometers, all needle tails.
You can pass all this info on to PNG for the record.

Best regards,

DickDallimore