birding-aus

Newnes 17 February 2001

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Newnes 17 February 2001
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:52:21 +1100
Hi all

Robin Murray and I explored the Newnes area yesterday, seeing quite a range of
birds.  Three sightings I'd put as my best
ever of the individual species.  In each case, it was like the bird was so
amazed that there was a car around at all on this
quiet day that it was stunned into staying in one spot.  Consequently, I was
able to roll up in the car SO SO SO close and
with our binoculars, it provided for amazing viewing of the following:

Nankeen Kestrel female, showing great detail of the black lines down each
individual back feather

Wonga Pigeon, with beautiful black spots on the flanks, gorgeous creamy
colouring on the forehead.  Was able to study the
white V shape that goes from the sides of the lower neck down the breast.

Common Bronzewing - an entire paintbox of colour in the wings - truly - yellow,
orange, red, blue, green - all shining vivid
colours.

Wow

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
33 50 17 S     151 05 25 E