birding-aus

I need an help about Australian birds

Subject: I need an help about Australian birds
From: Menotti Passarella <>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:56:22 -0800 (PST)
Hello friends !

I sent some days ago a message about a possible Kelp
Gull found in Italy last mont.

Photos of the birds are available here:

http://oystman.tripod.com/italiangulls/id10.html

Thanks to all the friend from Aussie wich sent their
suggestions.

According to me this mystery gull is very similar to
the one shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/6181/domi2.htm

In this site, the author cites The Handbook of
Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds (HANZAB)
(probable the Volume 3: Snipe to Pigeons),

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/hanzab/

about the curious white spots near the tips of the
inner primaries shown by the first year Kelp Gull
flying (never shown by any other gull, according the
same author). Similar spots are exhibited by the
Italian gull too.

I would like to check this feature from this
reference.

So, I will be very grateful to anyone wich will be so
kind to sent me privately a scan from this book of the
table about the fild marks of first year Kelp Gull, as
illustrated in the Handbook of New Zealand and
Australian Birds, since this guide is currently
unavailable in Italy.

This scan would be very useful for the submission of
the record to our national rarity committe. Kelp Gull
had been never recorded in Europe so far.

With my best regards to all

Menotti Passarella
Italy

Email: