birding-aus

Re RFI Mallacoota

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re RFI Mallacoota
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:35:17 +1100
Hello Everyone,

I want to firstly thank in particular Cathy Goswell, Marlene Lyell and Nevil
Amos for their guidance in locating birds of the Mallacoota region.  I promised
that I would write of my sightings that now date back to late January.
Species total for the five days of very casual birding was 121, including 7
lifers and two additonal species new to my Aussie list.   As many can attest
to, it is a different birding experience with family, especially with a 16month
old son.   But with the days becoming very warm I was glad to get up and be
restricted to before sunrise and put in a few hours in the cool misty mornings
along the Mallacoota coastline and in amongst the short but splendid rainforest
walks.
Wonga Pigeons were a delight around Gypsy Point Lodge, also observed in the
Mallacoota camping area.  Saw them as far west as Lakes Entrance also by the
Bass Motor Inn in the small section of forest at the end of the lookout road.
Glossy Black-Cockatoos were a delight on the second morning and I was treated
to a group of 11 birds sitting in the tops of some very tall dead eucalypts (?)
along the Gypsy Point - Mallacoota Road just after the tight 25km bend where
Coldwater Creek crosses the road.  Saw them two days later also in the same
spot at the same time (6:00-6:30am), this time a group of 9.   Also a pair
feeding at the side of the same road closer to Gypsy Point feeding in small
casuarinas right along the roadside just north of where the Genoa River
Firetrail Walk begins.  Same spot where Marlene has recorded them.  Didn't
record any at Casuarina Walk in either of two visits and didn't venture up to
Genoa Peak.
Azure Kingfisher - what a stunning little bird.  Watched one fishing along the
inner bank of an islet in Top Lake.  We raeched the spot from Gypsy Point Lodge
by walking down to the jetty and following the trail through the woods all the
way out to a private beach (and fishing spot) at Gypsy Point !
Ask at the lodge if you need directions.  Great private spot for a picnic.
Also one other bird seen perched on a fishing boat moored along the North Arm
in Lakes Entrance, accessed from the little island (what's the name of it ?) -
Marlene would know, it's opposite the info centre in Lakes Entrance.
This bird allowed me to approach within several metres for astounding looks.
Southern Emu-Wren - did not find these (or anything for that matter) along the
Heath walk in Mallacoota.  This was a real bust despite being there very early
on a totally calm morning.  Absolutely not a peep !?!?!
Did catch up with these delightful birds by driving into Shipwreck Creek
camping Area and hiking back along the trail through the woods out into the
heathland.  There were hundreds in there and I saw them all along the trail
which I traversed for about 1.5km.  Only one question - WHERE ARE THE
TAWNY-CROWNED HONEYEATERS ?????  Still haven't seen one and it's becoming quite
embarassing.
Black-faced Cormorant - just one individual that eventually flew in and perched
alongside the other species along the posts in the North Arm at Lakeds
Entrance.  Thanks especially to Marlene for that.
Black-faced Monarch - pairs at the bridge on the casuarina Walk and 150m along
(if you take the lower route round first) into the Double Creek rainforest
Walk.   Seen almost every day.
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo - finally caught up with this one after checking many
many Horsfields.  One sighting on the way to the jetty from Gypsy Point Lodge.
Reef Egret - the pair at Quarry beach were very obliging in the early morning.
I think later on they would have been pushed well down past the rocks with the
human invasion.  New for Australia.
Little Tern - several sightings from the Point lookout by the mallacoota
campgound.  Excellent spot for scoping the mudflats and bottom lake.
Leaden Flycatcher - one pair 100m in along the Casuarina Walk
Olive-backed Oriole - heard but not seen at both Double Creek in Mallacoota and
Lakes Entrance Lookout Road behind Bass Motor Inn.
Shocking that I never got onto either of these singing birds.

Will definitely venture onto Howe Flat now that I have it sussed out on a
return visit, assuming Eastern Bristlebird and Ground Parrot are a possibility.

Fantastic area, would recommend it to anyone birding in the SE of Victoria.
Thanks again to all those who helped me with locations.

All the best of birding,

Paul