birding-aus

Powerful Owl at Warrimoo

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Powerful Owl at Warrimoo
From: Graham Turner <>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:20:09 +1000
G'day Birdo's
Last night I braved the much kinder weather to go spotlighting at one of
my favourite spots at Warrimoo in the Lower Blue Mountains. Over the
years I've been to this location many times, always with good results.
Earlier this week I found several Giant Burrowing Frogs (Heleioporus
australiacus) calling in an area where I hadn't seen them before. With
this in mind I went back last night (Friday) to see if they were still
there.

Unfortunately the GBF's had stopped calling, but was rewarded with
Red-Crowned Toadlets (Pseudophryne australis) instead. Also calling were
Boobook and Owlet Nightjar, plus other frogs.

On the walk back to the car, I found a Pink-tounged Lizard
(Hemisphaeriodon gerrardii) on the track, showing off its pink toung in
defence. The highligh of the walk was to come right at the end as both
White-throated Nightjar and Powerful Owl were calling non-stop for about
ten minutes. I was hoping to get a look at the Owl, but of course it
stopped calling as I approached.

This is the 5th location I have seen for the Powerful owl in the Lower
Blue Mtns, the best was on my clothes line in suburban Blaxland, just
before Christmas '99.

Cheers,
Graham Turner,
Blaxland,