birding-aus

RFI: Australia Trip

Subject: RFI: Australia Trip
From: Michelle L Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:00:34 -0800
Hello,

I have a kind of strange question so a little
background first:

My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia
from March 16 - April 9th.  Our emphasis will be
spread rather evenly between birds, mammals, and
scenery.  Our ideal method of travel is to arrive, rent
a car, and wander.. with a vague notion of where
we want to go, but no actual reservations so that
we can change our itenerary as we go.  We always
travel this way in America and have done so in
Britain (and Western Europe) but as this is our first
trip to Australia, we have no idea how practical that
is.  Is it foolish to think (during March-April)
that we can just show up at the Kingfisher
Park Birdwatchers Lodge, or O'reillys, and find a
place to stay?  How far ahead do we need to book?
(or are we already too late!?!)  I've sent some email
with inquiries to a few of these places, but I haven't
gotten a response, so I am hoping some of you may
have an idea.

Also, since we wish to avoid a lot of internal flights, we
intend to focus on an area, rather than attempt a
grand tour at this time.  (and come back later for
what we've missed!)  If you had to choose between
SE Australia/Tasmania, the East Coast and Cairns,
or the Northern Territory for your first trip, what
would you choose? I know our trip falls within the
rainy season, so with that in mind, we are currently
leaning toward SE Australia... but any input would
be appreciated.  We'd like to get at least a taste
of the more desert-like habitats as well as
the rainforests if possible... are there
any accessable desert/outback areas within 2-3 days
drive of Sydney, considering the rain and our toyota
corolla rental car?  What about snorkeling... it also
appears to be box jellyfish season.  I read somewhere
there are some safe places to snorkel in the more southern
end of the Barrier Reef; does anyone know of such a place?

Sorry for the length and scatter-brained nature of
the questions, but I am having trouble wading through
the books and trip reports I have.
Most people dont seem to visit Australia during March,
so I'm not sure how to plan.

Thanks!
Michelle Robinson

Los Angeles, CA, USA