birding-aus

RFI: hollow-nesters

To: "Richard Johnson" <>
Subject: RFI: hollow-nesters
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:31:36 +1100
G,day Richard and birding-aussers,

Ambrose (1982) states that approximately 400 vertebrate species use
tree-hollows in Australia, of which about 180 occur in forested ecosystems.
 Approx. 28% of all amphibian species, 28% of all reptiles, 42% of all
mammals and 18% of all birds use tree-hollows.

I realise that your question Richard pertained specifically to 'landbirds',
and not 'all' species.  Ambrose only provides information considering 'all'
species.  One would imagine the figure of hollow using landbirds in
Australia to be considerably higher than 18%.  Looks like you might have to
do some counting Richard!

Reference:  Ambrose, G.J. (1982).  An ecological and behavioural study of
vertebrates using hollows in eucalypt branches.  PhD thesis, LaTrobe
University, Melbourne.

Regards,

Chris Tzaros