birding-aus

Summer Months in S.W.Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Summer Months in S.W.Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:13:43 +0930
Probably only another 8 weeks of summer to go!
This summer has been particularly hot, and for weeks on end.However, I remarked to someone a while ago, that if you could put up with the heat, now would be the time to come out here to see the birds.
So many congregate around the homestead surrounds because of the sprinklers which are on the gardens most of the time, and on very hot days you don't need to use binoculars as you can get within a few yards of lots of birds.One day Ian counted approx. 40 species in 15 mins. all within 20 metres of the house.
While the Warrego River was flooding in December we went down to check our creek, as the Warrego floods into it in a big flood, we knew that the water was just coming down as we saw 8 Wedge-tailed Eagles cruising at a very low height on the look-out for the animals getting out of the way of the water.
We've had a lot of Raptors about in the last few months. Last Saturday we saw a Little Eagle on the way back from our son's place just S.W. of Cunnamulla. Ian sees Nankeen Kestrels nearly every day.
The Black-breasted Buzzard,Peregrine Falcon,Australian Hobby and Brown Falcon are seen on a regular basis.He's seen the Grey Falcon a few times in the last couple of months and I've sighted the Letter-winged Kite on several occasions.Mind you, we don't go out to specifically look for them.
There are lots of Variegated and Splendid Fairy-wrens around the house and cottage and the Crimson-wing Parrots are increasing in numbers daily. They seem to gradually increase in numbers from December on and then start to decline in numbers about May. I have a photograph[somewhere] of approx.200 of them having a drink at dusk just outside the house and I think that was in December..
There were a few birds here making use of the sprinklers on a couple of the very hot days which Ian couldn't identify, even armed with P.and K., how we wished for an expert close by, he seems to think that they were juveniles of some species.
The Mallee Ringnecks are making lots of noise outside this window in their favourite gum tree at the moment.
Every morning and afternoon a Red-backed Kingfisher comes and sits on a post right near the pool before flying off in the same direction every time, he also comes from the same direction every day.
We have just planted about 30 acres of forage sorghum and there are 4 Banded Lapwings who don't appear to leave that little cultivation area.
The Rainbow Bee-eaters are still here,which is quite late for them. They also arrived a bit earlier than usual.Their young are just starting to fly.
The last of the Dollarbirds left the Warrego River here at Cunnamulla last week.
We have 6 varieties of Woodswallows around the homestead at the moment.The White-breasted are on the power lines every afternoon when I go over to move hoses at the cottage and mainly don't fly away. Aren't they neat looking little birds?
I haven't been down to the creek since the flood, but there would be a wealth of our water birds there, I'm sure.I know there are Yellow-belly in the creek, we had one for dinner last night along with a Cray- fish entree[there are some compensations for living out here!]
Cheers,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490