birding-aus

Cannon netting of waders

To: <>
Subject: Cannon netting of waders
From: "Andrew Geering" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:43:25 +1030
Hi Philip

First up, I think I should differentiate myself from David Geering.  I don't want him to take the rap for some of my comments (that would be a new twist in the pseudonym argument!).

I think that Peter Woodall has more expertedly answered your query than I could.  We have noticed that capture myopathy becomes more of a problem on a hot day, when birds struggle a lot in the net, are over-handled, and caged for long periods before processing.  Godwits and Knots seem to be the most prone to this disease.  The QWSG has had some success treating affected birds.  From memory (it is quite some time since we have cannon netted), various treatments have been tried such as administering valium (you'd be amazed how much a bird could tolerate without being affected) and crop-injections of a sugar solution.  We have also kept badly-affected birds in captivity for a few days before release, to allow time for the muscles to regenerate.  To minimise the incidence of capture myopathy, we try not fire on too large a flock, as every stage of the process, from untangling to release, is extended in time.  I can remember on several occasions, we have delayed on firing, when it has been felt that there are too many birds in the target range.
Hi David,
You wrote of "capture myopathy and drowning" as possible though rare terminal events in cannon netting of waders. I am (probably like you and most of us) not against the method, if the loss is minimal and the benefit in research or conservation is maximised. I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean by "myopathy" in this context. As I think your contribution is useful, I would like to know what you mean.
The dictionary says myopathy is a "disorder of muscle tissue or muscles". As these are birds that have flown from the other end of the world and are very active in their daily feeding and roosting movements, I would think their muscles would be fairly healthy or at least not suffering muscular disorder.

How then does the netting procedure contribute to or cause myopathy? Also what does the statement "we won't fire a net if a flock is too large" have to do with this?

Philip