birding-aus

4 messages rolled into 1

Subject: 4 messages rolled into 1
From: "Paul Jones" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:13:07 +1100
Hi again

The following email has 4 sections.

1. Goolengook Catbird
2. Roosting of White-throated Needletails
3. Request for Laptop Computer
4. Slide Scanning.

1. I finally made it out to Goolengook at the end of November and had a bit
of a search for some Green Catbirds.  I couldn?t find any, however I did find
a Satin Bowerbird and I am back to being sure that it was the catbirds I found
out there in the middle of last year.  I will be submitting it as a record to
the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife and Bird Atlas, but it will probably be the
only record and thus will always have doubters, considering the dynamics of
other populations.

2. While some of you are probably tired of reading about White Throated
Needletails,
I had an experience with a difference, which is worth recording.  I have had
to spend quite a few nights up the fire tower (Mt Beenak) because of car
problems.
 Last Friday night, I was watching a magnificent sunset over Port Phillip Bay,
when I noticed the WTN?s where in increased numbers compared to normal (about
250) and closely packed together.  As it became darker some started landing
in the trees up against the firebreak for the tower and stayed there.  At about
9pm there was still about 150 birds flying around and the best way to describe
it was that they basically all landed at once, over about 20 trees.  A feature
before going to roost, was that there flying speed slowed right down for the
minute before landing and they spent about 10 minutes flying in loops around
the area they roosted in.  I just wish the light had been bright enough to get
a photo.  I also wish for a taller tower, so I wouldn?t be continually
requesting
these trees be chopped, as they block about 400sq km?s of viewing area.

        The other day, I also had a Brown Falcon land on my roof, it basically
shat
itself (scientific term) when I poked my head out for a closer look.

3. Wanted.  1 Battery powered Laptop computer.  Any type as long as it works
and has word processing for about a 2-month loan.  My tower does not have
electricity
and I have a growing list of uni assignments, research reports, letters and
a day off I am probably more likely to want to see the human species rather
then spend it in front of a computer.    If anybody can help, please give me
an email.

4. Slide Scanning.  At the end of 1999, I put up a request for someone to do
some slide and negative scanning for me (Thankyou Ian Montgomery).  Since then
I have brought a slide scanner myself.  At the time I received a lot of email
regarding different techniques.  For this reason, I am now mentioning that I
happy to scan people?s slides, negatives or photos for them.  It can be either
Mac or IBM compatible and I am more then happy to provide further details upon
request by a return email.

Hopefully hear from a few of you very soon.
Paul J.