birding-aus

Cannon netting and banding.

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Cannon netting and banding.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:45:14 +1030
Hi, well I didn't intend buying into this topic but Wim's lengthy dissertation and some of the vitriol currently flying about must have stirred these ageing synapses to fire up.
So that we can get some more subjective  feedback on the effects of cannon netting and banding how about we organise a study group to cannon net some of the birders on Cairns Esplanade and whack a few coloured leg irons on them. Then we could track them back to their origins ( assuming not too many of them drowned or had their heads blown off) and ask them how they felt about it. Of course the findings would also have ramifications for our understanding of birding tourism patterns so we could better plan for their movements and accommodation. All scientific stuff of course, but who would reap the most benefit, the birders caught and banded or the netters?
What do you reckon? Would we tolerate that in this land of human and animal rights?
Tony.
Adelaide birding by 4WD
phone: 08 8337 5959
e-mail: