birding-aus

Metromix Wetlands

Subject: Metromix Wetlands
From: "Ray Kelly" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:53:47 +1100
We haven't been lucky enough to see the Rail yet but we are quite frequent visitors to the Metromix Wetlands on Captain Cook Drive, near Cronulla High School.

On Sunday last, we arrived at about 5.00 pm and stayed until about 6.30. The Black-winged Stilts appear to have taken their 2 young and left, as have, it would seem, the Pied Oystercatchers. The pair of Black-fronted Dotterels remain as do the numerous ducks, swans, cormorants and herons. Two new sightings for us were on the road to the tide gates where we were treated to a long (5 minute) look at a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo and a Striated Heron. It is pleasing to see that more and varied species are being attracted to this site. Of concern though were the tyre marks of a vehicle which had obviously been doing skids and slides on any available patch of dirt and the empty pilchard and prawn packets left behind by fishermen.

Sightings:

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
Striated Heron
Black Swans (with dependent young)