birding-aus

Grey Honeyeater RFI

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "birds" <>
Subject: Grey Honeyeater RFI
From: "Robert Read" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:13:17 +0930
Tony Russell wrote.
I have looked twice before at the Hamilton Downs Youth Camp rd site without luck, and am aware there may be a site west of the sewage ponds where the Greys can be found, but am seeking info re anywhere else in the general AS area where they may be found.
Also wouldn't mind another look at Slaty-backed Thornbills if anyone has any info on these.

Tony,

In my experience the Grey HEs are quite nomadic and there are no reliable sites.
The NT Bird Atlas website http://birds.rhyme.com.au/virtmap/oz/71/400_300/133_51_19/23_40_49/birds.html shows that they have been reported in 7 surveys out of 1251 in the Alice 1 degree square.

I have made many visits to the Old Hamilton Downs Road, seen them there only once.  I believe they are most likely to be there when the red-flowering Eremophilas are in flower and attract many HEs.  This is generally July or August, but it depends on rain.
I have seen them twice in the area SW of Flynn Grave, an area I have visited many times over 4 years.  On the first occasion a friend and I attempted to find them the next day without success.
They have been reported fairly often from the Olive Pink Botanic Garden on the fringe of Alice, and occasionally from the Old Telegraph Station.  I would suggest trying these first as they are very easy to get to and you might be lucky.
They have also been reported from the Sewage Ponds, N'Dahla Gorge, Kings Canyon.

They could turn up in any patch of woodland, you just have to be there on the right day!

Good luck

Robert Read
Alice Springs