birding-aus

Unusual Gull at South Curl Curl 15th January

Subject: Unusual Gull at South Curl Curl 15th January
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:53:06 +1200
Hi again

Those who have checked the NSW Birdline recently will have heard a brief
mention of a "Black-tailed type Gull". I didn't have internet access (or many
phone numbers) while I was away in Sydney, so this is my first chance to give
some details abaout this gull.

I saw it first on Sunday 14 Jan. It was flying south from the rocks near the
South Curl Curl pool, with Silver Gulls.  I had it in my bins for only a few
seconds but was able to pick out the bigger size, dark-grey wings, and darker
subterminal tail band. I wrote "Adult Pacific Gull" in my notebook.

The next day (Jan  I saw the bird for longer and much closer, but without the
aid of binoculars.  It was about 100m further south, and this time I saw it
take off, fly and land.  I observed it for about a minute, then raced up to get
my scope or binoculars.  It was gone when I got back, and I was unable to
relocate the bird over the next few days.

The following features were noted:

Size: Larger than Silver gulls, but didn't seem as big as the Pacific Gulls I
see almost every day near my home in Geelong.

Shape/Position:  Seemed to have a longer neck and slimmer body than Pacific
Gull - but these are features that are hard to quantify, especially when other
pacifics not present.

Bill: Larger than Silver gulls, but not massive like Pacific.  Wholly or almost
wholly dark.

Head:Some mottling around back of crown and nape, suggesting immature.

Wings:  Dark grey with whitish crescent-shaped windows near base of primaries -
not always visible. Some white along trailing edge of wing.

Tail: Black subterminal tail band.

The overall appearance was of a bird about a year before full mature plumage.
It seemed smaller than a Pacific Gull. When I saw it standing my 'gut-feeling'
was Kelp Gull - but how do you explain the back tail band?

My only guides were Pizzey & Knight and the paperback Harrison.  That's what
led me to suggest Black-tailed Gull.  I really can't explain it as anything
else.
It will probably turn out to be a Pacific Gull and I'll have been wrong in one
or two points of description - if anyone does get to see it again.

Apologies for not letting people know earlier.  Hope someone finds it again!

Russell Woodford

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html