birding-aus

Possibly a Brloga

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Possibly a Brloga
From: "Maralyn Watts" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:03:25 +1100
Hi folks,

This is my first bird related contribution to Birding-Aus and I have been very reluctant to state my observation. But with the reported sighting of the Brolga at Artarmon and the following discussions it appears my contribution is over due.

About three weeks before the reported sighting of the Brolga at Artarmon I was sitting on my back verandah looking out into my mini national park, my back yard in suburban Ermington, and was startled by an abnormally large shadow of a bird above me coming to rest about twenty feet from me.
I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched with amazement and absolute delight as the Brolga landed at the edge of the grassy area of my yard and proceeded to feed, oblivious to my presence, amongst all the natural undergrowth.

I honestly thought I was seeing things - initially I thought the bird might have been injured - it wasn't and I had a hard time convincing myself that it was a brolga. I watched it for nearly 15 minutes as it warily moved up and down the grass, darting it's lovely neck into the undergrowth every few steps it took.
I was so excited, when it flew off I shot in to check my books and it was definitely a brolga.

When I told my son of my wonderful experience his response was "What have you been drinking?" My friends all passed similar comments to the point I started to doubt myself so you can imagine my delight when I read of the Brolga report at Artarmon and over Macquarie University.
Macquarie University, Artarmon and Ermington are all within reasonable proximity adding more weight to the existence of Brolgas in this area of Sydney.
If I am ever fortunate enough to see anything like this again I won't be so apprehensive in letting you know. I wonder where the Brolga is now?

Happy birding,

Maralyn Watts