birding-aus

Bowerbird Rethink??

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bowerbird Rethink??
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:29:43 +1000
Bill Moorhead wrote
Morning,I caught the beginning of something about a re-think on Dr Death's,sorry DrDay's Bowerbird brain fettish on the ABC radio yesterday afternoon.....does anyone know about some good news here..(Qld radio about 5pm I think
Bill

g'day all
I hope I got the following summary of the interview on Qld ABC local radio correct.
The Executive Director Of Qld Parks and Wildlife Service (Ian McPhail) and
Nth Qld convenor for Birds Aust (John Nott) were interviewed for 10-15
minutes

Only 12 of the 42 birds have so far been collected.
The permit did set out that collected birds were spread out over a big area
i.e. no one area was to be targeted etc.

Previously collecting permits for Research were processed as a routine
procedure by QP&WS.

QP&WS will now be setting up some sort of Ethics Committee (as CSIRO and Qld
Museum have) and also specifying how birds may be collected (killed)

All permits will have to be approved by a senior (Head office ?)
person...not the Minister.

They will probably involve Birds Australia and others from now on.

The discussion of course jumped around a bit and 1/2 way thru one answer
they often diverted onto another question.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld. Australia

ps I subscribe to the Qld Environment Minister's media statements, so I
expect something to be issued soon.
All Gov't statements are available  http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/