birding-aus

Moorland, NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Moorland, NSW
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:20:01 +1100
All the birding reports on the Mid North Coast were part of a journey home to the family farm, a place called Raleigh Farm in Moorland (Lorne 9434-IV-S 1:25000, AR6788). The property has been part of the family now for several generations and I have always enjoyed the birding here. It is on the western flanks of South Brother Mountain and the gulley and slopes are gradually reverting to rainforest. The volcanic red soils are certainly rich and the two farm dams are always worth inspecting.

Over the years there have been changes in bird composition. We used to have Bar-Shouldered Doves and Brown Flycatchers. They seem to have gone. We have had Black Necked Stork as an occasional visitor and also Latham's Snipe and one summer we had Red-Backed Wrens.

Not this year! The big surprise this year was a pair of Comb Crested Jacana on the top dam. We were so excited. One was still there the next day (7th January) and we hope it will stay for some time.

Other birds of note in the 57 species for the farm these two days include a flock of over 30 Topknot pigeons feeding on the figs, Black faced Monarch (while over at Sea Acres Nature Reserve there were many Spectacled Monarchs instead) and a male Regents Bowerbird.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233