birding-aus

Birding Trip to Australia by 2 Dutch birders

To: <>
Subject: Birding Trip to Australia by 2 Dutch birders
From: "Leo Schilperoord" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 21:42:16 +0100
Hello fellow birders,

We are two birdwatchers from Holland, planning a birding trip of 6 months to Australia from july to december 2001. We are following your e-mails now since about half a year. We collected many interesting trip reports and read several travel guides about the many National Parks of Australia, but still find it very difficult to sort out the best route to take and which places to visit and which to skip. Places we definately want to visit are Wyperfeld, Flinders Range, Lake Eyre, Ayers Rock, Kakadu, Cairns, Lakefield NP, Lamington and some not yet planned parks in NSW and Victoria. And of course other places along the route worth spending a couple of days.
We can start our trip in Melbourne, because there is a company named Car Connection that sells and buys back (fixed price) Landcruisers (between 1984 and 1992) that will cost us $4500 for 6 months plus insurance. This is more or less renting and will be an easy start and finish and little loss of time by buying and selling a car and so far this is our best option.
However, in july, Melbourne is probably not the best place to start the trip. Darwin would probably a better place to start. Moreover the price for the car sounds expensive to us.

We would be pleased if anyone could give us a better advise and/or suggest birding-places not to be missed? Please use our private e-mail so that not every birding-ausser nees to enjoy your response.

Thank you for your help and sorry for bothering you all,

Mirjam and Leo Schilperoord
The Netherlands
e-mail: