birding-aus

musk lorikeets in Nunawading vic

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: musk lorikeets in Nunawading vic
From: "Ian Clark" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:50:11 +1100
I have had the pleasure  of  sharing the  small  yellow  coloured cherry  plum fruits  of the large  tree in our  back yard with up to forty  musk lorikeets at a time , over the last 3-4 days
 they drop in mainly  in the morning  and seem to disappear for the heat of the day(although it has cooled down for today ).A few shelter  in pairs  in shady trees  up high  around the place .
 I didn't notice them last year so  its a pleasant change .If they are disturbed  they take off in a noisy flock  some individuals struggle to get air born dipping down  close to the ground before  regaining  altitude .
 One  poor individual  was hit by a car   he dropped so low  although the place in  the tree he took  of from was 4-5 meters high
Does any one know which areas they breed  in ?
No doubt the rainbows will follow as the apples ripen
cheers Ian