birding-aus

Observations from Ben Boyd NP, S-E NSW coast

Subject: Observations from Ben Boyd NP, S-E NSW coast
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:44:07 +1100
Hello all,

Sorry that this is coming to all a bit late, but I thought that some people may be interested all the same.

Whilst enoying a peaceful, and relaxing honeymoon with my wife (don't laugh Chris) in early November (7th - 12th) we had the extreme pleaseure in staying at the Green Cape Lightstation, south of Eden, on the south-east coast of New South Wales. The lightstation is part of Ben Boyd National Park, and is offered up as accomodation to the public from the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Although I did not birdwatch as many others would, I still took note of what I observed during walks around the lightstation area, and other part of the Park.

Of particular note was the resident pair of White-bellied Sea Eagles who were seen every day scanning the cape around the lighthouse, and a bowerbird who had the taste for anything which it could prise off from a Bluebird (Nissan that is), and a Diamond Python doing a bit of rabbit control of it own.

My observations are as follows:

Birds

White-bellied Sea Eagle                Grey Shrike-thrush
Wedge-tailed Eagle                     Grey Fantail
Brown Falcon                           Willie Wagtail
Australian Hobby                       Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike
Brush Bronzewing                       White-winged Triller
Wonga Pigeon                           Olive-backed Oriole
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo           Australian Magpie
Galah                                  Pied Currawong
Rinbow Lorikeet                        Australian Raven
Australian King Parrot                 Satin Bowerbird
Crimson Rosella                        Singing Bushlark
Laughing Kookaburra                    Richard's Pipit
Rainbow Bee-eater                      Welcome Swallow
Superb Lyrebird                        Silvereye
Superb Fairy-wren                      Blackbird
Spotted Pardalote                      Australasian Gannet
Striated Fieldwren                     Silver Gull
Weebill                                Crested Tern
Yellow -rumped Thornbill               Little Black Cormorant
Yellow Thornbill                       Great Cormorant
Striated Thornbill                     Sooty Oystercatcher
Red Wattlebird
Little Wattlebird
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Eastern Whipbird

Mammals

Humpback Whale                          Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Australian Fur Seal                     Black Wallaby
Bottlenose Dolphin                      Echidna
Rabbit

Reptiles

Diamond Python                          Boulenger's Skink
Eastern Brown Snake                     Jacky Lizard
Sand Goanna