birding-aus

Painted Snipe and Duck Hunting

Subject: Painted Snipe and Duck Hunting
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:27:30 +1100
Dear All,
I also visited the Cedar Hill Swamp yesterday (thanks once again to Richard for the directions). However as I arrived at 1 PM I didn't stand much hope (I was driving back to Sydney from Woolgoolga). No Snipe (apart from Latham's), Wood Sandpiper or Native-hen. Looks like the snipe remains on the list of birds I still don't believe actually exist. However I did remove one other species from that list the previous day (2 days into the new year and a tick, woohoo) - Square-tailed Kite. Had great views for a good ten minutes of a single bird over the Pacific Highway at Halfway Creek, between Grafton and Coffs Harbour (only about 100 metres south of the Service Station). The bird was in partial wing moult, but got great views and no doubts about the ID. In regard to duck hunting as far as I know there is still an open season in Victoria and Queensland. In NSW there is a season to allow the hunting of ducks on rice fields. The shooters have to have a licence, have to have passed a waterfowl identification test (which is also necessary in Victoria) and have to have permission from the land owner. There is currently a review of the closure of the open season, with submissions being called for earlier this year, but I don't know what the outcome was yet, with no announcement being made. The shooting of Hardhead at Robe sounded particularly nasty. The whole "sport" of duck shooting is the ability to shoot them out of the air. I remember a few years ago at Griffith where I used to involved in hunter bag surveys that some shooters were prosecuted for shooting flightless Hardheads (they were all pin feathers) but I can't remember whether it was becasue they exceeded bag limit or were actaully shooting flightless birds.
Cheers,
Peter