birding-aus

Little Tern update

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Tern update
From: "Darryl McKay" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:21:55 +1100
The Little Tern colony at Lake Wollumboola, Culburra is currently having one of its best season to date. Nest No 87 (57 last season) went down on Saturday 30-12-00. 24 nests have been lost due to foxes. This number would definitely be higher if NPWS had not carried out baiting and placed an electric fence on the site. I have banded 73 chicks and some are already flying last Saturday. There are 16 nests still active and 10 eggs due to hatch this weekend.

If anyone visits the site doing some wader watching please walk along the edge of the lake and try not to walk in any vegetation as this is where the Little Tern and Red-capped Plover chicks are hiding, don't they Edwin?

I will be on site most weekends until they leave, usually early morning to mid afternoon, so drop in and say hello.

Darryl McKay
Bankstown