birding-aus

*I have a dream*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *I have a dream*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:34:27 -0800 (PST)
G'day Everyone,

Welcome to this brave new Millenium eh,

I hope some of you will recall? but you will have to
be of my few years of vintage to be able to remember a
walk along a seafront somewhere? possibly here in Oz
or perhaps the south coast of UK where you could stop
at a certain type of noticebord to see a map display
of the town you are in?

Hope you knew you were in that town, eh? :-]

Down the bottom of the board would be a whole series
of buttons that when pressed would illuminate small
lights on different points on the map? generally
speaking one button would read you are here? and a
single solitary lamp would light to indicate your
standing in front of that lamp :-] no seriously, I
have this idea to do the same with a birding map? use
the internet and internet links on the internet to
make it happen.

Could be ideal for advertising to all www users where
certain bird species can be found? or advertizing all
birding sites? as well as those more hard to find bird
places?

If you would like to be in on this project give me an
email. My thoughts are these, on the map, the buttons
just below the map when activated by a mouse click
could change the colour of the map so that the bird
species that was clicked would be indicated by a
colour change on the map? colour shading say from pale
green indicating the likely area the bird would be
found. To a deep green as a most likely bird find
area. Or colour code the bird species colour to that
bird?

If an area on the map was clicked a text file would
appear to show a list of the birds for that area.

I'm working on the bare bones idea of this now so let
me know please on

Sincerely,
John A. Gamblin

"Is it the heat that gets to him?"