birding-aus

Banyule Wetlands, Rosanna Melbourne

To: <>
Subject: Banyule Wetlands, Rosanna Melbourne
From: "Barbara Burns" <>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:49:07 +1100
Dear fellow birders,

I went for a great walk around the Banyule Wetlands (Rosanna- Melbourne suburb)
on Sunday morning, 8.30 am to 11.30.  The water is low, which I don't quite
understand in view of the recent rain.

The wetlands were teeming with birds, black ducks, coots, swamp hens etc.  A
pair of swans have successfully raised five babies who are now as big of their
parents and can only be distinguished because their feathers are not yet
completely bllack.  At one point all seven in the family  were feeding upended
in the lake at the same time.  There were at least three nanking night herons
out in the open in full breeding plumage, lots of whitefaced herson and a
couple of inland doteralls.

The highlight of the morning was a great view of a white winged triller, down
on the river bank just near the Somerset Drive car park.  I also had a good
look at a horsefield bronze cuckoo.

Snipe were in abundance with at least 6 sighting and I was also lucky enough to
get a distant view of a lewins rail.

Barbara Burns