birding-aus

Banded Lapwings, bitterns

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Peter Woodall" <>
Subject: Banded Lapwings, bitterns
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:29:38 +1000
Hi Peter

Yes, the Banded Lapwings I saw the other day were in fact quite close to
Seven Mile Lagoon - or should I say where Seven Mile Lagoon used to be. It's
providing dry grazing at present.

But even a little bit of wet can bring it alive - I remember a good-sized
party of Oriental Pratincoles on a close to dry Seven Mile a few years
back!.

I participated a few times in the QOS bird count back in the early to mid
seventies, but we stayed mostly south of the Warrego Highway covering the
then Dyers Lagoon, (now the flooded Lake Dyer behind Bill Gunn Dam) and
south to Mt Mistake and so on. You must have been covering the mirror image
block across the highway!

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056