birding-aus

Lake Linlithgow worth a visit now

Subject: Lake Linlithgow worth a visit now
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:22:28 +1000

G'day all

Lake Linlithgow (east of Hamilton, south-western Victoria is well worth a visit
at the moment.  It is about half full of water after drying up completely last
summer (a rare event).  It has more waterbirds at present than any time in
recent years.  I visited briefly on Saturday and recorded banded Stilts (100's),
Pied Stilts and Avocets, Pink-eared Ducks (1000's), Hardheads, Blue-billed Ducks
as well as the usual Grey Teal, Black Swans, Australian Shelducks, Hoary-headed
Grebes and Coots.

The birds were often too far out for my 8x binoculars but the Banded Stilts
appeared to be nearly all bandless.  Would these be the young birds from the
recent Lake Eyre breeding episode?

For more information on Lake Linlithgow check out the entry on my website -
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/LkLinlth.htm.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, 3300
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm