birding-aus

Bitterns, cricket, and fools

To: <>
Subject: Bitterns, cricket, and fools
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:03:15 +1100
There are at least three kinds of fool. Those who play cricket(flanelled fools), those who watch cricket (non-flanelled fools) , and those who believe that ,with sufficient planning,dedication,determination,observation,consultation etc.etc. they will ultimately find the alleged Little Bittern at Sherwood Arbortorium.
          Yesterday I was (at least) two kinds of fool.I left home at 5am for my third attempt at finding "the bittern" with the plan to then attend the third day of the first test at the Gabba. I had a great half-day at the cricket, and the bittern remains a figment of other people's imagination. There were friendly locals at Sherwood who smiled knowingly as I paced the perimeter of the reed-bed in the lagoon.They informed me how frequently they had seen "their bittern", and the 10 metre stretch where he invariably appeared. But could I find it ?No. But I did record a total of 30 species in 2 hours, not bad when my gaze hardly ever left that 10 metre stretch of reeds.
        And so on to the cricket ,where great fun was had by all-as long as you supported Australia.I hadn't been to the Gabba in 25 years, most of my test attendances having been at the beautiful Adelaide Oval. As a cricket ground, the Gabba makes a great football stadium.
        Took the binos in and got great views of the action for the 3 hours of play it took the Aussies to wrap it up.Also did a bird count, despite the complete absence of any natural habitat, and recorded:

    Torressian Crow
    Aust. White Ibis
    Rock Dove
    Welcome Swallow
    Willie Wagtail
 and the highlight, Peregrine Falcon, doing lazy circles high in the sky over the eastern light tower in the penultimate over of the game.
  The only other sightings of note were three Carribean Black Duck (others have reported five were seen on Thursday, the first day of the Test) and approx.200+ Ocker Galahs (Brisbanii sub-species) exhibiting normal Test match behaviours, ie flocking together on hilly ground, close to waterhole dispensing alarmingly murky brown fluid (obviously poisonous from some reactions seen, and even labelled with XXXX).They were making their usual racous call of "havagoyamug" interspersed with the Brisbanii variation of "Andyyy, Andyyyy". As always, whether in breeding season or not, they exhibited particularly strange and incoherent behaviours towards the few females of the species who had the misfortune to pass close by their waterhole. Plumage was consistent with previous records of being naked from the rather large abdomen to the head, with skin ranging from a ghostly white to a bright rufous , often changing on the one individual during the day. Varios forms of crest were observed but almost all had strange rubber-looking appendages stuck to the bottom of their feet.

    I encourage other birders to get to the Test matches, do a bit of birding, and be a bit foolish.

        Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ