birding-aus

Rufous Owl

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Rufous Owl
From: "Steve Popple" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:50:59 +0930
Yesterday a friend at Ludmilla in Darwin called me to let me know a Rufous Owl which irregularly roosts in a large Terminalia tree in her garden was back with the remains of previous nights catch still gripped in its claws. The owl roosts very high in the tree usually in a spot where overhanging palm fronds give it some protection from the honeyeaters and black butcherbirds which spend the daytime harassing its sleep. After much study we decided the catch was a large rat as it had a very long bare tail which was most unlike a bandicoots or possums, every now and then the owl would open its eyes have a bit of a peck at its meal before dozing off again.

Its nice to be back in the sunshine again, we just came back from two weeks in NSW where it rained everyday, greatly reducing my chances to go birdwatching. Bird highlights were a Satin Flycatcher pair in my Mums garden in the Blue Mountains,and lots of Musk Lorikeets at Mudgee.
Steve