birding-aus

Have you seen this bird?

Subject: Have you seen this bird?
From: "Michael Jarman" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:21:43
Hello birding-ausers

I have recently been employed by NPWS as a shorebird recovery coordinator
for the south coast area. This is one of two positions created by NPWS to try and address some of the problems facing our shorebirds especially those that choose to nest on south coast NSW beaches.

The bird of major concern is the HOODED PLOVER of which the latest Australian Wader Study Group estimates has a population of less than 50 birds in NSW. This is way under the carrying capacity of our beaches and is due mainly to a lack of suitable nesting areas. (ie free from predators, trampling by humans and rogue dogs). Every holidays thousands of people converge on the coastline causing havoc for our nesting shorebirds.

My aim is to locate the remaining HOODED PLOVERS on the south coast, assess whether they are attempting to breed and then providing them with some protection if needed. Protection can range from a low key fence to prevent trampling or an electric fence to exclude foxes and dogs as well as over curious humans. I'm also looking at setting up a warden system, whereby local people and/or holiday makers can keep watch over the birds, collect data and educate others on the plight of our shorebirds.

The situation for the HOODED PLOVER in NSW is desperate. The time has come to implement active management strategies otherwise we may loose this bird in NSW forever.

If you have seen any HOODED PLOVERS on the south coast, please let me know. I know of only 5 birds between Jervis Bay and Batemans Bay. I would also be interested in any sightings of PIED OYSTERCATCHERS, especially if they are hanging around sand dunes. Also any sightings of colour banded SOOTY OYSTERCATCHERS would be great. Please don't search for nests, as nests are so well camouflaged that you run the possibility of finding the nest with your foot before your eyes.

So if you live on the south coast of NSW or are planning a holiday this summer keep an eye out and help save these spectacular birds. Better still if you are interested in becomming a warden. Even for a couple of days over the holidays that would be great. I have set up a protected site at Lake Conjola and already little terns, red-capped plovers, pied oystercatchers and HOODED PLOVERS have begun nesting, despite the hundreds of people who visit the lake. It's amazing how quickly the birds "realise" where the safe area is.

PLEASE send any info to ulladulla.npws.nsw.gov.au or to my private email.

Thankyou

Mike Jarman