birding-aus

Fwd: Honduran Emerald information

Subject: Fwd: Honduran Emerald information
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:19:50 EST

--- Begin Message ---
Subject: Honduran Emerald information
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:08:23 EST
Hello all,

I am leaving for Honduras this coming Friday and am still trying to get
information on specific locations for Honduran Emerald.  I know about the
location just west of Olanchito in Yoro province.  The information is quite
old, however, and I am wondering if that patch of arid thorn "forest" still
exists.  That spot is also quite a ways from Tegucigalpa, where I am staying,
and I don't know if I will have time to get all the way over to Olanchito
(via La Ceiba and Saba).

I wondering if anyone out there has any more recent information on this
species, especially post-Hurricane Mitch info.  If I remember correctly,
there used to be some pretty good patches of thorn scrub/forest along the
main road near Comayagua, which is much closer to Tegucigalpa.  I wonder if
anyone has looked for or found it there or in the mountains just east of San
Pedro Sula.

I have checked most of the major trip report sites, but with no luck on
recent (with in the past 3 years) information.  Thanks for any tips offered.

Rick Waldrop
Cleveland, TN

--- End Message ---